Staff Scientist – Laser Development
Vescent Photonics seeks a creative and highly driven laser scientist to join our Product Development team. The candidate will lead the technical development of state-of-the-art frequency-stabilized laser systems. The right candidate is a life-long learner who is enthusiastic about performing laboratory research for commercial applications. This position will manage research projects as a principal investigator and seek out new funding opportunities for next-generation research and development.
Vescent is a leading designer and manufacturer of precision lasers, frequency combs, and control electronics for use in laser cooling, quantum computing, sensing, and timing, and other optical physics applications. As a recognized leader in laser control systems, research and development is a central part of Vescent’s mission, fueling technology innovations that turn into world-class products. The work environment is fun, fast-paced, challenging, and interdisciplinary, involving a high degree of coordination amongst the product development teams. The Vescent team takes pride in its work, is energetic and agile, and is a strong believer in workplace integrity. Located in Golden, CO, Vescent presents an excellent opportunity for career growth as well as access to urban culture and outdoor recreation. Benefits include PTO, health/dental insurance, and participation in the company 401k and phantom stock plans.
- Lead technical development of advanced laser systems. Analyze, model, design, assemble, and test lasers and their associated electro-optical control systems.
- Conduct research both as an individual and in a team environment.
- Manage contract research projects to be on time and within budget, including effectively communicating with customers, industry/academic partners, and vendors.
- Contribute to the intellectual property of the company.
- Transition assembly and testing of optical systems to engineers and technicians as needed.
- Represent the company with customers, government entities, and at trade shows and conferences.
- Write effective proposals to secure funding through government and commercial contracts.
- D. or M.S. in Physics, Optics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree in relevant field.
- At least 3 years performing hands-on research and development in an optics/laser laboratory, with direct design experience in at least one of the following areas: semiconductor gain media, solid-state lasers, external cavity diode lasers, and laser frequency stabilization.
- Demonstrated technical writing experience.
- S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Experience designing and building external cavity lasers, particularly optically pumped semiconductor lasers.
- Experience with design of epitaxial semiconductor gain structures.
- Expertise in laser frequency stabilization and feedback control of electro-optical systems.
- Experience with wavelength conversion via nonlinear optics.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer programming, data analysis tools, and physical simulations (Python preferred)
- Proficiency in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits, especially with opto-electronic components such as diode lasers and photodetectors.
- Proposal writing experience.
- Experience modelling optical systems (Zemax preferred).
- Product development experience of laser systems.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to jobs (at) vescent (dot) com. Your cover letter should express how your skills, qualifications, and interests address the job description. Applications without a resume and cover letter will not be considered. Vescent Photonics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.