Photonics Research Engineer
Vescent Photonics seeks an entry-level research engineer to join our Research & Development team. The candidate will be responsible for running their own research projects aimed at developing advanced laser systems for cutting edge R&D applications and field deployable precision measurements. The right candidate is a hands-on “lab rat” who really enjoys learning new skills, solving challenging technical problems, and being part of highly collaborative team.
Vescent Photonics develops and manufactures high-performance electro-optics, tunable lasers, and electronics for precision laser control. Being a recognized leader in laser control systems and centrally located in the Denver CO area allows for frequent collaborations with nearby academic and private institutes to further Vescent’s product line and research goals. R&D is a central part of Vescent’s mission, fueling technology innovations that turn into world-class products. The work environment is challenging, fast-paced, and interdisciplinary, involving a high degree of coordination between electrical, mechanical, and optical systems. Vescent offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package, including four weeks PTO, health/dental insurance, retirement plan, and a profit-sharing plan.
- Work independently and collaboratively on research projects.
- Design, construct, and test prototype lasers and electro-optical systems.
- Perform laboratory measurements. Analyze and present test data.
- Develop assembly and test procedures. Create documentation and transition to teammates.
- Participate in discussions with collaborators.
- S. in Physics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related technical field.
- Experience writing technical papers or reports.
- Demonstrated laboratory experience in lasers and electro-optics.
- Experience with electronics test equipment (e.g. oscilloscopes, multimeters, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, frequency counters).
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer programming and data analysis tools (e.g. Python, Matlab).
- S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Laser spectroscopy and/or frequency stabilization (data analysis, laser frequency stabilization, servo controllers, etc.)
- Fiber optic techniques including cleaving, splicing, and recoating
- Experience in the application of optical frequency combs (e.g. dual comb spectroscopy, optical frequency synthesis, optical atomic clocks, laser metrology, lidar, etc.)
- Experience in the field of atomic, molecular, and optical physics.
- Experience designing and reworking electronic circuits.
- Computer-aided design software experience (Solidworks preferred).
- Ray tracing software experience (Zemax preferred).
Please send your resume and a cover letter to jobs (at) vescent (dot) com. Your cover letter should express how your skills, qualifications, and interests address the job description. Applications without a resume and cover letter will not be considered. Vescent Photonics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date of posting: 12 April 2021