Process Engineer – Electro-Optical Manufacturing
Vescent Photonics seeks a creative and highly driven manufacturing process engineer to join our production team in Golden, CO. The candidate will develop manufacturing methods for state-of-the-art laser systems, ranging from ultra-narrow linewidth lasers to optical frequency combs. The candidate will be the technical lead in establishing processes and techniques for assembling complex laser systems based on micro-optic, electro-optic, and fiber-optic components. This position is ideal for a technical leader that enjoys hands-on work, troubleshoots problems with enthusiasm, and desires learning new skills.
Vescent Photonics develops and manufactures high-performance electro-optics, tunable lasers, and electronics for precision laser control. The work environment is fun, fast-paced, challenging, and interdisciplinary, involving a high degree of coordination between the research, engineering, and production teams. The Vescent team is highly collaborative, takes pride in its work, is energetic and agile, and enjoys celebrating milestones. Vescent offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package, including four weeks PTO, health/dental insurance, and a matching retirement plan.
- Lead technical development of manufacturing processes for all laser and electro-optic products.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the product development team and the production team to successfully transition products from engineering/R&D to manufacturing.
- Design and document scalable build processes and test methods for complex electro-optical assemblies.
- Identify appropriate manufacturing technologies that can improve the quality and efficiency of production processes.
- Advocate for best DFMA practices during product development.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Physics, Optics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree in relevant field.
- At least 3 years industry experience developing manufacturing and test processes for electro-optical products.
- Demonstrated experience in developing processes for affixing and aligning optics.
- Demonstrated technical writing experience.
- S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Experience with micro-optic and fiber optic assemblies.
- Good understanding of using glues, solders, and welding to affix optics in an environmentally stable manner.
- Experience manufacturing and testing laser systems, including mode-locked ultrafast systems and CW narrow linewidth lasers. Experience with fiber lasers and semiconductor-based lasers is particularly sought.
- Proficiency in computer programming, automation, data acquisition, and data analysis tools.
- Experience modelling optical systems (Zemax preferred).
- Proficiency in assembling and troubleshooting electronic circuits, especially with opto-electronic components such as diode lasers and photodetectors.
- Computer-aided design experience (Solidworks preferred).
- Finite element analysis to perform thermal and stress/strain analysis.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Your cover letter should express how your skills, qualifications, and interests address the job description. Applications without a resume and cover letter will not be considered. Vescent Photonics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.